10-11am - the perfect time to post

I’m often asked what the best time to post a Blog entry, issue a piece of e-mail marketing or send a press release is.

When I first started being asked these questions I answered from experience; and experience suggested that I seemed to get the best results between 10am and 11am.

Then I decided that just experience wasn’t enough, I needed do the research as well. So I did and I still found that about between 10am and 11am was about perfect. I also found that Tuesday and Wednesday are both pretty good days to issue things on.

So, what’s the common denominator between these three types of marketing that binds them together in terms of optimising their efficiency by issue time? No prizes for guessing I’m afraid – e-mail is the common factor. Almost all journalists want their press releases by e-mail these days and the majority of Blog posts are read via an RSS feed issued by e-mail.

It makes sense that an e-mail that arrives when your inbox is empty will get more attention than one that arrives when your inbox is full. Most people empty their inboxes when they arrive at work first thing in the morning, so the 10am/11am timing ritual fits with this. The afternoon is best avoided because our energy slumps after lunch and once it rises again, late in the afternoon, most people are already thinking about going home!

So, I thought I would do some research on the best time to send regular e-mails to make sure they are read and responded to. I was surprised to find that there isn’t a lot of data on the subject, but I would be willing to bet that the perfect time is between 10am and 11am!

Subscribe to Insights into PR and online marketing

Bookmark and Share

PS - If you are wondering what the code in today's headline is here's the answer; it's feed verification for the new version of Digg. Which is cool by the way. Head on over to http://digg.com/richardstone27 and follow me.


cfcab4741de74faf95bf51aab738b6e6

Richard Stone

Stone Junction is a cool technical PR agency based in Stafford. We work for all sorts of businesses, with a particular focus on technology, technical and engineering companies. We like being sent cake and biscuits by clients, journalists and prospects.

No comments: